Using the Creative Process - One Model

(Original Post Date: Early April 2010)

A few weeks ago, my coach Louise Kaelin (http://www.touchpointcoaching.com/) asked me to consider being open to the idea that I have "earned a full share of the harvest."  Louise uses a process of crafting statements that help her clients sort out what's true and not true for them and this was the statement we were working on when I needed to slow down and explore what it meant.

Like most of my fellow humans, I have lots of limiting beliefs so I developed a creative, intuitive process to bypass them.  Remember when we used to make collages to help us visualize our dreams?  Well, being an internet aficionada I don't have lots of magazines around to cut up anymore; but I could copy pictures from the web. I Googled images for phrases like,
  • full measure of the harvest
  • receiving one's full share
  • earning your share
  • workers in the vineyard
and more.  When a photo appealed to me, I copied it into a Word doc.  I had 23 pictures and no idea what to do with them. 

So I just sat down into myself and listened to my gut.  It occurred to me to number the pictures. Then I tore up little pieces of paper with the numbers 1-23 on them and then I had a hunch to add a blank, #24.  I put them all in a vase and asked my intuition what I needed to learn in that moment.  I was going to pick out the numbers and line up the pictures in the order the numbers came up.

I meant to pick up one number, but I got two.  Then I reached in again for a piece, and this time I got 5 pieces!  I put the numbers on the table in the order that seemed right and then looked at the corresponding pictures to see which ones were chosen and if there'd be a discernable story.

First the two pieces: a sack of grain and a beautiful landscape with a peaceful lake and trees.  The picture of the lake was called Full Measure Lane and is almost identical to the view outside my home.  I have lots of dissatisfaction about where I'm living right now, so these "current state" pictures caught me by surprise.

As for the five pieces: Well!  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  The work felt done.  Check out the pictures to see the results! 



(the blank)






These photos are from Flickr Creative Commons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Example of Resilience Thinking

Reflections on the Course I Just Finished Teaching

Urban and Rural Paradigms